Fixing CLR trigger error after installing .Net Framework updates

Today I discovered an error in one of our CLR triggers in a SQL Server database:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "PersonalChangedTrigger": 
System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Messaging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Assembly in host store has a different signature than assembly in GAC. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131050) See Microsoft Knowledge Base article 949080 for more information.

This was kind of unexpected since we didn’t modify the trigger. It turns out that it was probably a Windows Update patch that modified the System.Messaging assembly so we had to “re-import” it into the database. This is how to do that, in our case:

ALTER ASSEMBLY Messaging
FROM 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\System.Messaging.dll'
WITH PERMISSION_SET = UNSAFE

/Emil

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.